As a worship leader, my desire is to see the church (universal) understand what worship is and actually put it into practice.
Sadly there are many voices convoluting and confusing the discussion with equating personal preference with scripture. They may not be actually saying it with their lips, but their actions and attitudes clearly demonstrate that their preference for worship music and styles is what defines worship for them, and not the Word of God.
So, to help with that, I’ve decided to do a quick list of what the Word of God says worship looks. And in a quick search of the pages of the Bible I came across 25 things that worship can involve. And interestingly none of them mention hymnals, stained glass, projectors, organs, or sheet music.
They don’t necessarily all happen at once. And these 25 things do not, by far, capture every aspect of worship. But it’s a starting place. And when Gods word is the starting place rather than an after thought, we find ourselves in a much better and God honoring place.
- Worship is done in spirit and in truth – John 4:24
- It involves bowing down and kneeling – Psalm 95:6
- It involves presenting our bodies as a living sacrifice – Romans 12:1
- It involves singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs – Colossians 314-17
- It involves giving a sacrifice of praise – Hebrews 13:15
- It involves awe, reverence, and gratitude – Hebrews 12:28
- It involves making a joyful noise – Psalm 95:1-6
- It is both corporate and individual – Hebrews 10:25, Matthew 18:20
- It requires His presence – Psalm 27:4
- It involves bowing our heads – Exodus 34:8
- It involves singing new songs – Psalm 149:1
- The object of worship should be God and God alone – Matthew 4:10
- It involves dwelling in His presence – Psalm 84:4
- It involves our mouths – Psalm 71:8
- It involves cheerfulness – James 5:13
- It involves skillful instrument playing and shouting – Psalm 33:3
- It involves silence – Habakkuk 2:20
- It involves a deep longing and desire for God – Psalm 63:1
- It involves a steadfast love of God – Hosea 6:6
- It involves enthusiastic praise – Psalm 107:32
- It involves a public expression of praise – Psalm 22:22
- It involves falling on our faces – Revelation 7:11
- It involves recognizing that we are in the presence of a Holy God – Joshua 5:15
- It involves pouring out our everything – Psalm 42:4
- It involves singing out loud – Jeremiah 31:12